For an entire year, we have experienced the seclusion and isolation of a world held hostage by the most widespread pandemic of this generation. As the venues and exhibits artists relied on to display their works experienced shutdowns and cancellations, creatives had no other option but to find alternative showcases. Some artists found it challenging to find inspiration as the weeks and months passed by, darkened by the virus, racial tensions, political dissent, and a world polarized by extremists.
Out of the Dark is an exhibition for work created during this challenging season, spanning multiple mediums. It seeks to spotlight artistic works that range from the hopelessness felt during forced separation and the hopefulness of a future beyond the pandemic, but it is not limited to any specific theme. It is the record of what we lived during our quarantines and lockdowns, the stories that happened behind the closed doors of our self-governed isolation, and the words spoken by unseen lips behind the masks we wore to preserve our lives. It is for work of any subject matter created during the pandemic.
We were never silent.
Gallery Call Details
- Call Type: Month-long Exhibition
- Deadline: April 11, 2021 @ 11:59 PM EST
- Open to: Local, regional, national & international artists
- State/City: Tampa, Florida
- Entry Fee: $35.00 for a maximum of 10 entries
Open to all 2D & 3D mediums of visual art except for video & installation art. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Final work must not exceed 40x40 inches.
- Call Announcement: March 15, 2021
- Final Submission Deadline: April 11, 2021, 11:59 PM EST
- Curation/Finalization of work: April 13, 2021
- Artist Bio/Conceptual Statements Due: April 16, 2021
- Work drop off: May 10 - May 12, 2021, 12:00-5:00 PM EST
- Shipped work: Must arrive by May 12, 2021, 9:00 PM EST
- Opening Reception: May 15, 2021, 6:00-9:00 PM EST
- Exhibition Duration: May 15 - June 17, 2021
- Work pick-up: June 18, 2021, 12:00-5:00 PM EST
Image Use / Copyrights
The artist retains all copyrights to submitted images and represented artwork. Digital images submitted with the artist’s entry are for exhibition selection only. Artists selected to exhibit grant House of Shadows Creative Gallery & Market the right to use the selected image(s) on printed materials and the gallery website for promotional purposes only. House of Shadows retains no copyrights to the artist’s work.
Commissions & Sales
House of Shadows will retain a 30% commission on sold work.
The artist is responsible for insuring and properly packaging their work. A return shipping label must be pre-purchased and provided to us.
About the Gallery
House of Shadows is an art gallery in Tampa, Florida focused on showcasing a unique, curated blend of local, national, and international visual and performance art. Our main gallery includes two minor galleries and our House of Shadows Market - a collection of locally-produced art products chosen for their creativity, quality, and cohesion with our Shadow culture. Our space is a haven for personal and creative expression.
Location & Contact
- Jose Gomez
- Annie Rosse